With miles of sandy beaches to explore, delicious seafood fresh from the fisherman’s catch and historic castles ripe for adventure, Northumberland makes the perfect choice for a summer holiday the whole family will love.
Whether you fancy building a sandcastle on Beadnell Beach, spotting puffins on a boat trip to the Farne Islands or following in Harry Potter’s footsteps at Alnwick Castle, take a look at this handpicked selection of family-friendly Northumberland holiday cottages and start planning your next summer getaway.
Seahouses is deservedly one of Northumberland’s best-loved fishing villages and this three-bedroom coastal cottage is in prime position for exploring the historic harbour and beachfront shops. Herring Master’s Cottage is comfortable, cosy and has lots of character and charm. There’s an array of cafes and restaurants to choose from nearby, plus a well-equipped kitchen if you fancy whipping up a family meal ahead of a relaxing night in.
Sleeps 6 | Seahouses | 2 dogs welcome
- A real home from home with cosy living room, TV and wood burner.
- Easy access to the coastal path with a lovely walk along Seahouses beach to Bamburgh Castle.
- There are regular boat trips from Seahouses to the Farne Islands to spot puffins, seabirds and otters galore!
Nearest food shop: Co-op Food | 41 Main Street | NE68 7RF | Open 7 days a week.
Nearest takeaway: Neptune Fish Restaurant | 3 Seafield Road | NE68 SJ | 01665 721310
Don’t miss: Tucked away in the pleasing seaside village of Seahouses, The Bunker boasts an exciting play facility combined with 18 holes of crazy golf. This will definitely burn the energy off!
Jasmine Cottage is just a short walk from the beautiful beach at Beadnell Bay and its single-storey layout works well for parents with small children or for anyone who may find stairs a little difficult. The rooms inside the cottage (including double and twin bedrooms) are contemporary and well-equipped and outside the two-bedroom holiday home is a lovely sheltered patio which is just right for a spot of al fresco summer dining.
Sleeps 4 | Beadnell
- There is a great decked area to the rear of the property which is a nice sun trap for lazy mornings and afternoons in the sun. It’s enclosed too, making it safe for children.
- Close to many of Northumberland’s finest beaches, great for beach days and coastal adventures.
- There is great storage for bicycles.
Nearest food shop: Beadnell Convenience Store | 2 Harbour Road | NE67 5BE | Open 7 days a week.
Nearest takeaway: Lewis’s Fish Restaurant | 22 Main Street | NE68 7RQ | 01665 720475
Don’t miss: Slate Hall Riding Centre welcomes riders of all ability levels and has a selection of horses and ponies. They specialise in beach rides are they are located near some of Northumberland's beautiful coastline.
This stylish and modern holiday home is perfect for sunset watching, cosy afternoons and sociable evenings catching up with one another in comfort. The rooms throughout this holiday home are impressive and immaculate, with all the small details thought of. One wall of the kitchen area is completely glass with wide doors that open onto a large decking area. There is also a double bedroom downstairs which has french doors opening onto the garden too. It is a suntrap which makes hanging around the cottage fun!
Sleeps 6 | Bamburgh
- Enjoy al fresco dining at any time of the day.
- Trendy and sophisticated accommodation adding that special something to your stay.
- Beach within walking distance for days at the beach.
Nearest food shop: Coop | 41 Main Street, Seahouses | NE68 7RF | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Neptune Fish Restaurant | 3 Seafield Road | NE68 7SJ | Open 7 days a week
Don’t miss: Pay a visit to nearby Bamburgh Castle and take a walk along Bamburgh Beach.
This is a trendy cottage stylishly designed to provide you and your family with a special base on Northumberland’s magical coast. Spend your days exploring the village of Bamburgh, its enchanting castle and the long sandy beach that sits beneath it. After long days exploring the area, you can look forward to returning home to this luxury contemporary accommodation, unwinding before the following days ahead. This is also a nice child-friendly option in Northumberland.
Sleeps 6 | Bamburgh
- Spacious open-plan living perfect for sociable family time. There is a Smart TV for movie nights.
- Close to the beautiful Budle Bay, part of the Lindisfarne National Nature Reserve.
- The large doors offer easy access to the garden and outside seating area.
Nearest supermarket: Co-op Food | 41 Main Street | NE68 7RF | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Spice House | 52 Main Street, Seahouses | NE68 7TP | 01665 720345
Don’t miss: Enjoy fantastic Farne Islands boat trips around one of Britain’s most spectacular wildlife habitats. You can easily organise one of these tours with one of the local companies.
Derwent Cottage Three is part of a collection of four beautifully restored cottages all located within an exclusive hotel complex. It's an ideal choice if you want to holiday with other families, yet still have your own private space. Two of the three bedrooms feature zip-and-link beds for maximum flexibility which can be set up as a super-king-size beds or twins. There are lots of facilities on-site to make life easier as well as gorgeous walks throughout the extensive grounds.
Sleeps 6 | Allensford
- There’s a great shared indoor pool on the site - ideal for children to have a splash around and improve their swimming.
- Set within 20 acres of fantastic Northumberland countryside so you have lots of freedom.
- Enjoy activities like golfing, fishing, walking, hiking and cycling.
Nearest shop: Morrisons | Front Street, Consett | DH8 5RE | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Pizza Time Grill | 21 Medomsley Road, Consett | DH8 5HE | 01207 438072
Don’t miss: Head to nearby Derwent Reservoir which makes a picturesque spot for a summer picnic. There’s also a play area for children along with a visitor centre and shop.
We understand that the dog is part of the family too; include them in your next break with our collection of dog-friendly holiday homes.
The characterful Catcleugh Farmhouse sleeps up to ten people so is perfect for extended family gatherings, or if you just like to have a little extra space. The property has an idyllic location under the International Dark Sky Park and has views over Catcleugh Reservoir and scenic Pennine Way walks from the front door. Mountain bikers can enjoy some of the UK’s most challenging routes at Kielder Forest and others will enjoy soaking up the history of this fascinating area.
Sleeps 10 | Northumberland National Park | 3 dogs welcome
- Lovely large house with two living rooms, large dining room and spacious family kitchen.
- Large enclosed garden with lots of space for kids to stretch their legs while the adults relax on the patio.
- Three dogs welcome so the whole family can enjoy a special break here.
Nearest shop: Co-op Food | 2-3 Parkside Place, Hexham | NE48 2AY | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Happy Valley Chinese Takeaway | Bellingham, Hexham | NE48 2AD | 01434 221221
Don’t miss: Pay a visit to nearby Kielder Water and Forest Park for a family adventure. Activities include miniature golf, an adventure playground and pleasure boats across the lake.
This penthouse is ready to provide you with the perfect base for your family holiday. If you are looking for something trendy with lots of style, to make your break extra special, then this is the accommodation for you. It is spacious and bright, with lots of space for everyone, and the great decking area to the front of the holiday home makes for a lovely place to sit and watch the sun go down, and also enjoy meals outside. The village of Alnmouth is close by and the golden beach is on your doorstep, making this the perfect location for full days on the beach.
Sleeps 6 | Alnmouth | 1 dog welcome
- Direct access to the beach offering full days out on the sand with no curfews.
- Open plan and spacious interior offering lots of floor space to play.
- Enclosed decking area so the kids and dogs can play in safety.
Nearest food shop: Mace | 52 Northumberland Street | NE66 2RJ | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Box Pizza | Foxton Drive | NE66 3NH | 07518 433555
Don’t miss: A boat trip to the Holy Island of Lindisfarne, and then onto the farne island to discover hundreds of sea bird colonies.
The beautiful three-bedroom Northolme is a top choice for anyone looking to add a touch of luxury to their next UK holiday. The spacious open-plan layout with dramatic double-height ceiling works well for families and the property is just a short walk from the beach at Beadnell. A recent addition for 2019 is a seven-seater hot tub which is available to use by prior arrangement with the owner.
Sleeps 8 | Beadnell | 2 dogs welcome
- Spacious open-plan living perfect for sociable family fun.
- The brilliant enclosed decking area wraps around the property and comes with a BBQ and lounge furniture so that you can make the most of warmer summer weather.
- There are privately-owned tennis courts around the corner for use by Northolme’s guests.
Nearest food shop: Beadnell Convenience Store | 2 Harbour Road | NE67 5BE | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Pinnacles | 17-19 Main Street, Seahouses | NE68 7RE | 01665 720708
Don’t miss: Beadnell Bay is one of the best-equipped Northumberland beaches for water sports and you can try your hand at windsurfing, jet skiing or sailing.
Nestled next to the Derwent River this stylish and well thought out holiday home is a treat for those who book it. Sleeping six comfortably in three bedrooms it is the perfect spot to gather the family together for some much needed fun in the sun. There is a wonderful and stylish open plan living layout which makes it a great base for socialising, and the outdoor space is splendid. Here you will find a large private garden with patio area, hot tub and BBQ. Children will love the summer house which has sofas and a TV and adults will love that there is a pub within walking distance. Find out more about The Riverbank.
Sleeps 6 | Shotley Bridge | 2 dogs welcome
- Stylish open-plan living area with large doors that open onto a generous patio with comfy outdoor furniture.
- Four bathrooms so no queuing for the showers.
- Enclosed garden with an outside heater, BBQ and private hot tub.
Nearest supermarket: Morrisons | Consett | DH8 5RE | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: Rumi's Indian Takeaway | Front St | DH8 0HJ | 01207580984
Don’t miss: Hall Hill Playbarn is a fantastic farm where families can come and enjoy all the farm animals and play areas. Enjoy rabbit handling sessions and in the summer months there are lamb races!
This bright and cheerful Northumberland coastal cottage is perfect for smaller families and can sleep up to four people and a dog with a sociable open-plan layout. There’s a seaside feel to the design with blues, whites and coastal touches throughout. The location is peaceful but there’s lots to see and do nearby.
Sleeps 4 | Craster | 1 dog welcome
- You are just a hop, skip and jump away from the seaside.
- Younger children will love the bunk beds in the charming second bedroom.
- Open-plan layout for sociable entertaining.
Nearest supermarket: Morrisons | 10 Clayport Street, Alnwick | NE66 1LA | Open 7 days a week
Nearest takeaway: The Craster Seafood Restaurant | Haven Hill | NE66 3TR | 01665 576230
Don’t miss: Take a 1-mile walk along the coast to Dunstanburgh Castle. This dramatic 14th-century English Heritage Site was instrumental in the Wars of the Roses.
Northumberland summer holidays stay in the heart forever
Will you be planning a family holiday to Northumberland this year? This is just a small selection of the family-friendly cottages available for a summer holiday to Northumberland.
Take a look at the full range on the Cottages in Northumberland website and find even more summer inspiration in our things to do in Northumberland guide.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.