Finding a holiday the whole family will love is no easy feat - and fun, dog friendly breaks are even harder to come by. In Northumberland, dogs are just another member of the family, so it’s easy to find a place to stay where pets are welcome - and even simpler to settle on a strictly dog friendly holiday agenda.
Staycations are taking Britain by storm - with families and their furry friends exploring the UK in pursuit of dog friendly holidays with a difference. From golden beaches to rugged rural walking routes, there are a number of ways to give both you and your dog a holiday to remember – and when the day is over, the whole family can enjoy some well-earned rest in one of the many dog friendly cottages in Northumberland.
Dog friendly days out
Castles and priories throughout Northumberland bring a slice of history to any holiday, with enigmatic ruins and formidable fortresses scattered across the county. If you’re stuck for things to do in Northumberland, castles like Dunstanburgh combine a picturesque coastal walk with dog friendly grounds - meaning your four-legged friend can come along for the adventure and get some exercise on the trek to these dramatic ruins. Take a trip to Holy Island for a first-hand look at the remains of Lindisfarne’s 12th century priory, coupled with breath-taking views of this mysterious island.
When it comes to unbeatable dog friendly days out, Northumberland is a paradise for every family and their pooch - whatever’s on your itinerary:
- Dunstanburgh Castle creates one of the region’s most striking silhouettes, its imposing ruins sitting atop Northumberland’s wave-ravaged shore. With a 1.5 mile coastal walk from Craster giving your four-legged pal a chance to run around while you admire the incredible coastline, it’s a journey the whole family can enjoy
- Lindisfarne Castle and Priory are a testament to Northumberland’s raw beauty, combining ancient, enigmatic ruins with breath-taking island views - and the best part is dogs on leads are welcome to be a part of this time-travelling adventure
- Warkworth Castle is the Northumbrian stronghold that requires no introduction. Its iconic keep is a sight to behold - and with your trusty hound in tow, you’ll love exploring this Great British landmark for yourself
- Hadrian’s Wall is some 73 miles long and packed with centuries of British history. With a number of equally invigorating trails to try out, you and your dog can ramble around rural Northumberland to your heart’s content
Dog friendly pubs and restaurants
There is a great selection of dog friendly pubs in Northumberland, making it easy to find a rest stop everyone can enjoy.
Here are a few of our favourite places to find some welcome refreshment:
- The Craster Arms is located in the heart of Beadnell and offers dogs and their owners a cosy place to kick back. The village of Beadnell sits on Northumberland’s stunning coast, meaning you won’t be far away from a stroll along the beach once you’re ready to get up and go
- The Jolly Fisherman is an ideal place to find a hearty Northumbrian meal, thanks to this Craster pub’s sensational seafood selection. And if your dog is in need of a well-earned rest, The Jolly Fisherman is happy to oblige
- The Sun Inn brings a taste of quaint village character to visitors and locals alike. With a specials board “in a league of its own”, this good old-fashioned country tavern, located in the village of Alnmouth, is one of the very best dog friendly pubs Northumberland has to offer
- The Schooner Inn is a proper Northumbrian pub situated in Seahouses, combining lively local atmosphere with a diverse selection of ales available at affordable prices – and the best part is your four-legged friend is welcome to join you
- The Ship Inn, found in Low Newton-by-the-Sea, is one of the most popular dog friendly pubs in Northumberland and boasts a range of exciting live events throughout the year, as well as its own brewery – producing “beautifully balanced and innovative beers”, meaning even self-confessed beer buffs can find a new experience here
Dog friendly beaches
Dogs love nothing more than a run around a long stretch of sand - and thanks to the selection of dog friendly beaches in Northumberland, yours can spend the day paddling in the sea and shaking it off on the county’s 39 miles of beautiful, unspoilt coastline.
For a fun afternoon on the sand, check out Northumberland’s dog friendly beaches:
- Amble Links beach is located by the village of the same name and gives pets an opportunity for an exciting shoreside adventure. At this dog friendly beach, you can make the most of the Northumberland coast with your dog in tow – and with access to kayaking, sailing and even windsurfing, you’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to seaside activities!
- Seahouses is home to comfy cafes, local shopping options and one of Northumberland’s famous sandy beaches - giving dogs plenty of seaside sounds and smells to investigate
- Beadnell Bay is a wonderful spot to catch some sun and an even better place for a swim. Dogs and their owners will love spending the day on this horseshoe-shaped beach, indulging in some open air exercise ready for a restful night inside one of the county’s self-catering cottages
Dog friendly walks
Hadrian’s Wall Path National Trail offers families no less than 84 miles of rugged trail ready to explore - and dogs are welcome to get in on the action. This stretch of moorland is ideal for dogs to have a run around in the fresh air and tire themselves out ready for a cosy evening snooze.
Treasure Trails across Northumberland combine family fun with an adventure the dog can also enjoy. With trails available in Alnwick, Seahouses, Lindisfarne and many more locations throughout the county, families can embark on murder mysteries and treasure hunts that take them through Northumberland’s rural landscape and bring their dog along for the journey.
Dog friendly cottages
When the day is over and the whole family is ready for some well-deserved rest, you can give everyone a warm bed for the night by exploring the great collection of dog friendly holiday cottages Northumberland is home to. Offering a range of diverse self-catering holiday cottages, Northumberland is the perfect place for a holiday and a popular choice for dog lovers in the UK and beyond.
Our range of dog friendly cottages in Northumberland give you and your pooch a chance to relax in style in the heart of this beautiful region. From coastal properties with sensational panoramic sea views, to homely country cottages nestled in rural Northumberland, dog friendly accommodation is easy to find in this popular holiday destination.
Pet friendly cottages are an important part of any great British holiday, as the only way to end an action-packed day exploring Northumberland is in the comfort of a cosy self-catering property. With easy access to many of the region’s beautiful, bustling villages and some of the most exciting and unique activities available throughout Northumberland, cottages make it easy to spend every minute of your staycation doing the things you love.
If you’re looking for a great British holiday the whole family can enjoy, your search is over. Thanks to our range of dog friendly cottages situated throughout the beautiful Northumberland landscape, you can find accommodation fit for your favourite four-legged friend.