One thing that comes high on the list when we are thinking about a holiday is food; after the location and holiday cottage, of course!
There are lots of lovely places to grab a bite to eat in Northumberland, whether you are looking for a quick stop between activities, or a long leisurely meal with no time limits. Here are some of the best places to eat in Northumberland which offer top-notch grub and friendly service.
Stay in a Northumberland cottage which you can come back to with full tummies after a tasty meal out.
Discover the best pub food in Northumberland
There is nothing better than kicking back in an English pub after a day out exploring. If anyone knows how to run a great pub, it is the English! Step into a cosy local pub and enjoy a pint beside a crackling log fire, or a hot coffee with a window view out over the sea. On sunny days, retreat to the beer garden and soak up the sun with a scrumptious pub lunch.
Here are some of the best places to grab some pub grub in Northumberland.
- The Tavern, Steakhouse and Lodge | Alnwick, NE66 1QF | This is a sophisticated and lovely place to eat out in Alnwick. It’s a popular gastropub in Northumberland that has a great menu with lots of choice.
- The Bamburgh Castle Inn | Seahouses, NE68 7SQ | A lovely, homely pub which solves all the problems when wondering where to eat in Seahouses. With views out over the harbour, this is a nice place to relax and enjoy a tasty meal.
- Jolly Fisherman Inn | Craster, NE66 3TR | People come here for both the delicious food and the great views! It has a cosy fireplace for the cooler days and a great choice to pick from on the menu.
Have your dog with you on holiday? No problem; there is a great range of pubs which welcome your four-legged friend. Read all about the best ones in our guide to dog-friendly pubs in Northumberland.
Take a look at the best restaurants in Northumberland
Going out for dinner on holiday is one of the biggest indulgences. Taking a break from thinking about the family menu can feel like such a treat and, if it’s possible to eat out every night, then that’s a bonus. You will not be short of lovely places to fine dine in Northumberland, especially when you take into account its lovely local towns and villages.
Take a look at some of these top restaurants in Northumberland.
- The Craster Seafood Restaurant | Craster, NE66 3TR | If seafood is your thing, then head here for a sophisticated dining experience. From fish cakes to lobster, the food is amazing!
- Salt Water Café | Beadnell, NE67 5AS | This restaurant serves up beautifully presented food in style. If you are looking for comforting food served with a twist, then come here.
- The Potted Lobster | Bamburgh, NE69 7BS | This is a warm and rustic establishment which is popular with those who enjoy their seafood. We have heard the seafood platter is outstanding!
- Sea & Soil Amble | Morpeth, NE65 0DQ | This is a hip little bistro and is a hidden gem in Northumberland’s food scene. The menu is exciting and varied, offering everything from crab burgers to roast quail.
Fish and chips for takeaway delights in Northumberland
After long days in the outdoors, sometimes the easier option is to stop by a chippy and pick up food to go. When staying in a Northumberland cottage, this is a great choice as you can take your hot food back and relax in the comfort of your home from home. Set next to the ocean, it will come as no surprise that Northumberland has a wide range of fish and chip shops to choose from, with delicious fish and other seafood being caught fresh from the ocean and served up in generous portions for you to enjoy.
Here are some of the best fish and chip restaurants and takeaways in Northumberland.
Vegan and vegetarian places in Northumberland
Gone are the days where having a dietary preference limited your options on where you could eat out. It is now unusual if an eatery does not have a vegetarian or vegan option, and gluten free is also a special diet that most places cater for too.
Here is a mix of places to eat in Northumberland that have great vegetarian and vegan choices.
- Bertram’s | Warkworth, NE65 0XB | Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options. This café is a friendly and trendy place to come and chill with some good food. There is an outdoor seating area for the sunnier days.
- The Origami Café | Alnwick, NE66 1JH | This is a friendly and welcoming café which is a lovely spot to have coffee and cake whilst being surrounded by arts and crafts. Catering for vegetarian and vegan tastes, there is a variety of treats to try.
- Rocking Horse Café & Gallery | Alnwick, NE66 2TH | Combine a coffee stop with beautiful artwork in this delightful café. Being dog-friendly, everyone is welcome, and the vegan and vegetarian options are scrumptious.
Relax the legs in lovely cafes in Northumberland
Whether you are having a non-stop adventurous day where you need a quick re-fuel, or a lazy day pottering about, Northumberland has a great array of coffee shops and cafes that offer the perfect place to rest the legs.
Enjoy smells of freshly ground coffee, glorious home baking and comforting atmospheres in these lovely Northumberland cafes.
- The Running Fox | Alnwick, NE66 2XX | If you are looking to be inspired by lovely cakes, tray bakes and the smell of fresh coffee, then this is the perfect stop for you. Reload on some sugary treats before continuing your adventures.
- Strawberry Lounge | Alnwick, NE66 1JG | A small family-run café/smoothie bar selling great fresh handmade food. Pop in for lunch or a quick bite with their menu offering everything from burgers to scones!
- Pilgrims Coffee House | Holy Island, TD15 2SJ | This is a quirky self-service café boasting quality coffee and trendy teas. If you are environmentally aware, this establishment will be right up your street as all of its food is served in compostable cups and containers!
Northumberland is well known for serving up a delicious afternoon tea, and its cream teas are top notch. Read our guide to the top five afternoon tea spots for advice on the best places to go.
Grab an ice cream in Northumberland
Holidaying next to the seaside will certainly get you in the mood for some delicious ice cream, and whilst you can source a tasty treat from an ice cream van, you can make it extra special by visiting one of Northumberland’s amazing ice cream parlours. There is nothing as good as fresh and creamy homemade ice cream.
As well as pubs, restaurants and cafes in Northumberland, there are a number of delicatessens selling fresh local produce. Pick up condiments and speciality food products to take home with you, and suss out the best farmers' market to buy your meat and fish. There are also a number of Northumberland food festivals which you could keep in mind, including the Berwick Food and Beer Festival and Alnwick Food Festival which celebrate the best of local food and drink. These are annual events but it’s best to look them up to confirm dates.
Enjoy researching this great list of places to eat in Northumberland; as you can see, there is lots of choice and this blog only exhibits a sample of what’s out there! Forget about cooking and book in some pub lunches and sophisticated dining experiences.
Stay in a Northumberland holiday cottage
We have lots of lovely holiday cottages which provide a lovely base for any trip to Northumberland. Come and browse the full collection and plan your next visit to this amazing location.
Disclaimer: Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information at the time of writing,
please ensure you check carefully before making any decisions based on the contents within this article.